The Rock County Veterans Memorial – a gift from Warren Herreid II and his wife Jeannine Rivet through their K.A.H.R. Foundation – was created as a visible expression of appreciation for the contributions of Rock County residents who served the country.
Groundbreaking for the memorial took place during a snowstorm on March 1, 2007 and was dedciated durning a Memorial Ceremony that same year.
It is situated on the south lawn of the Courthouse Square. The memorial features a life-size bronze statue of an uniformed veteran, "Poppie," who sits on one of five granite benches. Each bench faces one of the five points of a 32-foot granite star embedded in the pavement.
An 18 feet tall obelisk, made of five-sided black granite. The five sides face the five benches. Engraved on the side are the names of local veterans who died in service.
To the north of the obelisk will be a wall honoring MIA/POWs. The flags of the five branches of the American Armed Forces will fly above the memorial.
More than 1500, engraved with veterans’ names along with years of service and the branch served while in the military, encircle the memorial.
Pavers were purchased by or for resident who live or have lived in Rock County and were honorably discharged from the armed forces or are currently serving in active duty.
The K.A.H.R. Foundation gave the Rock County Commissioners control over funds that will be used to maintain the grounds. The Commission appointed a committee to be known as the Veterans Memorial Advisory Committee.
Committee members are Rick Peterson, Annabelle Frakes, Bill DeBates, Wendell Erickson, Gregg Gropel and Warren Herreid Sr.
Members will have three-year terms and the initial terms will be staggered so at least two members’ terms expire annually. There are no term limits.